IRS Form 990

It’s that time again. Your unit must file IRS Form 990 between now and November 30th because our fiscal year is July 1 to June 30. (For those two units on different calendar years, file at the appropriate time for you.) Most of you will file Form 990N.

If your unit grosses more than $50,000, you’ll need to file a different version of Form 990.
Learn more about which form you need to use:

A few changes: The IRS used to have a third party handle 990Ns. Now they’re handling it directly. You’ll need to register as a new user. Read the attached pdfs. Not a big deal, just another user name and password to remember. Be sure to share them with other officers! Also note that there have been some glitches. If you have more trouble than that, please let me know so I can pass the information along to Melissa Neirbass, our National PTA service rep has assisted with many different aspects of filing. National PTA has done a great deal of work with the IRS sorting out how to handle the unintended consequences of requiring 501(c)3’s to file or lose their status.

One last BIG caveat: Use your unit’s own EIN! Do not use ME PTA’s. If you don’t know your unit’s EIN, email us to find out.

Good luck, everyone. Filing the form will probably take less time than going through this information.